Take Action on 5/5/12 Climate Impacts Day
On May 5th, we are invited to Connect the Dots between the rise in weather related catastrophes and climate change. This day serves as a ‘wake-up call’ for everyone to stand in solidarity with the communities in the front lines who have experienced the severe floods, droughts and storms that are no longer a prediction of the effects of Global Warming, but are now a reality.
The risks of climate change have been categorized into five “reasons for concern” by the International Panel of Climate Concern (IPCC). These are described as:
- threats to endangered species and unique systems
- damages from frequent and extreme climate events
- a global distribution of effects that fall most heavily on developing countries and the poor within countries
- global aggregate impacts (reflecting the various measurements of total social, economic and ecological impacts)
- large-scale high-impact events